Preventing injuries is a key part of player safety and encouraging enjoyment of the sport.
Acc provides great tips and resources for warming up and preventing injury visit: https://www.accsportsmart.co.nz/
The following are some tips for preventing injuries during practices and games:
- Plan a proper warm up before all practices as well as games.
- Check all players have water to keep hydrated during the session or game.
- Ensure everyone has the protective equipment they need (eg mouth guards, shin pads).
- Check for players with previous injuries.
- Make sure any fitness drills and skills training are appropriate for the players’ age and stage so they’re not being asked to do things that could cause an injury.
- Make sure players cool down and stretch afterwards to avoid cramp and muscle injuries.
Consider what needs to be in place if a player gets injured:
- Have a first aid kit on hand and check it’s fully stocked.
- Have the contact details for players’ parents.
- Check if any parents have first aid certificates and are available to attend practices and/ or games.
- Make sure you have this injury treatment and referral guide on hand. You can find a copy in your first aid kit.
What to do if a player gets injured:
- Check the player can safely be removed from the game. If you are concerned they have a major injury, call for medical assistance or an ambulance.
- Move them to sideline and do a quick assessment of the injury.
- Follow the injury treatment and referral guideline in your first aid kit for information on:
- immediate treatment – what to do straight away
- where to refer the person to – for further advice or treatment.
To find out more information on the injury prevention document, and to find a booklet click here